Monday, October 21, 2013

Weekly Update 10-21-2013

    Weekly Update
October 21st - 25th, 2013

Learning Targets/Topics
Word Study/Spelling:
~I can spell, use and make contractions. - New principle for the week
~ I can spell words with double vowels that may or may not make that typical vowel sound.- Test Tuesday (see 10 word list under 10/20 in planner)
Reading:
~ I can tell how a character traits or feelings cause action in the story.
~ I can support my answers with information from the
story.
Writing:
~ I know ways writers generate ideas.
~ I can make lists of my own writing ideas.
~ I can create a paragraph from writing ideas.
~ I can write about poetry.
Math:  
~ I can find the elapsed time (amount of time an activity takes) when given a start or end time.
~ I can find the start or end time of an activity when I know the elapsed time and the start or end time.
~ I can make and find equal groups (premultiplication).
~ I can skip count by 2’s, 5’s, 3’s and 6’s.
~ I can make an array.
Social Studies:
~ I can use grids to read and create maps.
Important Dates

10/23:  Scholastic Book Order Due
10/28:  PTO meeting- anyone is welcome to attend
10/31: Grade Cards go Home
11/1: October Reading Log Due
11/5:  Veteran’s Day Program @ 7p.m- student arrival @  
          6:30
11/12: 2 hour delay
11/13: Picture Retakes
11/18: Waiver Day: No school
11/27-11/29:  Thanksgiving Break
12/2: Conf. Day= no school

Questions? Contact Me
Mrs. Breslin
937-663-4449 ext 4319
Don’t forget to check out our blog:
mrsbreslin.blogspot.com

*You can always send in a note or write to me in your child’s planner*

Student of the Week:
Darlene-Maria
Reminders
~ Please check and sign your child’s planner each night.
~Please look through your child’s take home folder and go over papers that have wrong answers.
~ Reading logs are due the last day of the month; however, we will take as many 300 min logs as the student can complete, with a minimum of one per month.
~ We want homework to be a tool for parents to help their child at home.  Please check over your child’s homework.  We give homework in order for students to practice the skills we work on at school as well as to inform parents on the types of questions that your child will be expected to know in class.  If they need help, you may guide them or help them as needed.  If ever your child struggles too much or becomes too frustrated, please send me a note letting me know.

THANK YOU
Steven’s Bakery & Orchard
for sponsoring a fun, family night for our 3rd graders!

Would You Like to Volunteer?
Right now I have several boxes of books that need organized.  If you’re interested in coming in to work for an hour or two to help sort books, please contact me so we can schedule a time.

We are still working on elapsed time.  This is a difficult concept that requires lots of extra practice.  Please use the strategy page sent home today to help your child master this skill!
               



No comments:

Post a Comment